Make your own free website on
No. 14 - Oct. 1862
Current News
22nd So. Carolina Vol. Infantry Brief History
22nd So. Carolina Infantry
2011 Schedule of Events
The Home Front
Drill, Marching and Tactics
Civil War Sutler's
Units, Groups and Organizations
Reenactment and Living History Events
Our Flags
Research Sources
Rules and Regulations of the 3rd NH/22nd SC
By-Laws of the 3rd NHV/22nd SC
3d New Hampshire Uniform Guidelines

No. 14.


Report of Col. John H. Jackson, Third New Hampshire Infantry.



Hilton Head, S. C., October 26, 1862.


CAPTAIN: I have the honor to present the following report: Agreeably to Special Orders, No. 5, from Headquarters Second Brigade, dated October 21, 1862, 1 reported with 480 men at the head to the wharf at 1 p. in., and received orders to embark 100 men on board the Patroon and Uncas. The remainder of my command embarked on board the steamer Boston. Between 10 and 11 o’clock at night I was ordered to detail 2 officers and 32 men to cut off some pickets of the enemy. One of the officers, with 20 men, reported to Captain Gray, of the Seventh Connecticut Volunteers. The remaining officer, with 12 men, with an officer and boats crew from the Paul Jones, went in another direction and captured a picket: The report of Lieutenant Smith, commanding this detachment, please find enclosed, marked A.  In  the morning about 8 o’clock I disembarked, and soon after received orders to advance. A short time after our advance had engaged the enemy I received orders to form in line of battle in the rear of and a little to the left of one of our batteries, which position I took under a severe fire of the enemy. Most of their fire, however, was to high and passed over our heads. I soon received orders to again advance, and after advancing some distance was ordered to position on the left of our forces, with one piece of marine artillery, to guard against any attempt of the enemy to turn our left flank. I remained in this position some time, and received orders to send for- ward the piece of artillery then with me. About dark I received orders to draw in my advance and retire from my position and take a new position, with my right resting on the main road, and remain there till our forces had all passed me. After all had passed me and a company of cavalry, with one piece of artillery, had taken position in the road I had orders to retire. After retiring and taking a new position near the river I sent out, by order, a number of details, one of 100 men, to assist in removing the wounded. During the day 3 of my command were wonnded.* During the forenoon of Thursday the 23d were embarked according to orders ,the men of my command during that received, and arrived at this camp night and Friday morning, when the last were landed. During the expedition the officers and the men generally did their duty faithfully. I returned with three companies of my regiment on the Paul Jones; and would take this opportunity to present my thanks and those of my officers and men who were with me to the commander of the Paul Jones, also to his officers and men, for the kind treatment we all received while on board. All my officers and men who were in this expedition speak highly of the treatment they received while on board the gunboats. Dr. Buzzell, of my regiment, was untiring in his efforts to make the wounded as comfortable as possible. My command is now all in camp, and ready and willing to move again at short notice. The property captured by Lieutenant Smith is mentioned in his report. One of the fowling-pieces was taken by Serg. Nathaniel J. Campbell, of his company, who expressed a strong desire to have the piece. If it can be done, I hope his wish will be gratified.


With respect, your obedient servant,


Colonel Third New Hampshire Volunteers.


Captain BACON, Assistant Adjutant- General, Second Brigade.



SOURCE: The war of the rebellion: a compilation of the official records of the Union and Confederate armies. ; Series 1 - Volume 14; pages 173-174.