Make your own free website on

Maryland Campaign

Current News
22nd So. Carolina Vol. Infantry Brief History
22nd So. Carolina Infantry
2011 Schedule of Events
The Home Front
Drill, Marching and Tactics
Civil War Sutler's
Units, Groups and Organizations
Reenactment and Living History Events
Our Flags
Research Sources
Rules and Regulations of the 3rd NH/22nd SC
By-Laws of the 3rd NHV/22nd SC
3d New Hampshire Uniform Guidelines

In the Maryland Campaign of the Fall of 1862 the 22nd South Carolina was engaged at Rappahannock Station, Va and at Boonesboro(South Mountain) and Sharpsburg, Md. 
At the Battle of Boonesboro, Md Col. Thomas C. Watkins was killed in battle.  He was the Regimental Commander before his honorable death in battle.  And to add to this note Lt. Col. James O'Connell of Co. D was wounded in battle.
It is noted in Gen. N. Evans official report(page 628, Vol. XII) that the 22nd South Carolina suffered 7 KIA, 20 Wounded during this campaign.


No. 162. Report of Major M. Hilton, Twenty-second South Carolina Infantry, of engagement at Rappahannock Station.


October 15, 1862.

CAPTAIN: In obedience to orders I herewith give you as correct an account as can possibly be given of what part the Twenty-second Regiment

South Carolina Volunteers assumed in the engagements during the months of August and September, commencing at the Rappahannock River on August 23; also at South Mountain or Boonsborough, Md., and in the vicinity of Sharpsburg, Md., from September 15 to 18:

Before proceeding to give a report of the above-named engagements I feel that it is due to the regiment that they should be approved for the steadiness and courage evinced by them during the five days they were actively engaged with the enemy, especially when it is considered that they were brought from the coast of South Carolina, and from the day of leaving Charleston until after the battle of Sharpsburg it was a continuous series of forced marches and battles. Wearied out by fatigue and exposure and many ill, they stood to their posts until exhausted nature could stand no more. Colonel T. C. Watkins having been killed at Boonsborough early in the engagement, and the command of the regiment devolving on myself, I find it is with difficulty that I can give as full and detailed account of report as I would wish to do.

Before concluding I would say that there are officers and men who deserve special mention for the courage, fortitude, and patience with which they endured the dangers and privations of those eventful days.


On Saturday, August 23, about 6 a. m., formed line of battle na marched to the support of batteries placed near the Rappahannock River, regiment commanded by Colonel S. D. Goodlett. After taking position was ordered forward to a hedge-row and commanded to lie down. After remaining thus for about two hours or more was ordered forward again. After marching about 300 yards was ordered to charge a supposed battery of the enemy. On nearing the position it was found deserted, together with the rifle pits of the enemy. After retiring a short distance from this position the regiment was ordered back to its old camp. During all of the above movements the regiment was subjected to a heavy and continuous shelling from the enemy.

The casualties were: Killed, 9; wounded, 8. Total, 17.

Very respectfully,


Major, Commanding Twenty-second Regiment South Carolina Vols.

Captain A. L. EVANS, Assistant Adjutant-General.

SOURCE: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies; pages 636-7, Vol XII.



Antietam after battle report:

Report of Maj. M. Hilton, Twenty-second South Carolina Infantry,
of the battles of Boonsborough and Sharpsburg.

October 15, 1862.

CAPT.: In obedience to orders, I here with give you as correct an
account as can possibly be given of the part the Twenty-second South
Carolina Volunteers assumed in the engagements during the months of
August and September, commencing at the Rappahannock River on August
23; also at South Mountain, or Boonsborough, Md., and in the vicinity of
Sharpsburg, Md., from September 15 to 18.*

* * * * *


[On September 14] the regiment marched from Hagerstown, Md. (Lieut.
Col. Thomas C. Watkins in command), to South Mountain; reached there
about 4 p. m. Found Gen. D. H. Hill's division on the right of the road,
engaging the enemy. This regiment was ordered to the left of the road, and
marched around the mountain, then filed by left across the mountain, then
by right flank forward, when we came in contact with the enemy and
immediately opened on them, the enemy occupying a very favorable position
against us. After engaging them for about half an hour, we were ordered to
fall back, which we did some 30 yards, through in some confusion, Lieut.
Col. T. C. Watkins calling to the men to rally to their colors and fall into
line. While thus exposing himself, and, having succeeded in forming the
regiment in line of battle, he fell, struck by a musket-ball in the head. Thus
fell a brave and skillful officer at the head of his command, encouraging and
rallying his men with the last breath of life. This misfortune caused the
regiment to fall into confusion.

I then assumed the command, rallying the regiment three times, but the
pressure from the enemy was such that it was impossible to hold our
positions, and finally fell back to the main road leading to Boonsborough,
and there formed under the cover of a fence, where we remained until
ordered to fall back on Sharpsburg, it now being night.*


After falling back from Boonsborough, on Monday (15th) reached
Sharpsburg. During this day the principal services performed by the
regiment was to support Capt. Boyce's battery of light artillery, and other

The only casualty was Lieut. R. B. Hughes, Company A, wounded on the
right hip by a fragment of a shell.

On Tuesday, the 16th, the regiment held the same position as on the 15th,
its services being the same during the day. At night the regiment went on
picket service in front of our batteries. During the day L. P. Gordon,
private, Company E, was wounded by a fragment of a shell on the right
thigh. The regiment acted as skirmishers up to Wednesday evening, the 18th;
during most of the time was between the fires of our own and the enemy's
batteries, and exposed to the heavy and continuous shelling of the enemy. At
one time the enemy advanced their batteries, and our pickets fell back, but
our own batteries played on the enemy with which effect that they were
forced to retire. Our regiment then resumed its old position until about 4 p.
m., when the enemy again advanced with large brigades. I ordered the
pickets to fire and fall back on the Eighteenth and Twenty-third South
Carolina Regiments, which was done, and the engagement became general.
After night set in and our ammunition had given out, we fell back beyond
Sharpsburg, for rest and refreshment.

Next day, Thursday, the 18th, marched back to the battle-field and occupied
the position we held the day before, and remained, skirmishing with the
enemy, until night. About 10 p. m. was ordered to draw in my pickets,
which was done, and about 11 p. m. rejoined the brigade near the Potomac

Very respectfully,

Maj., Comdg. Twenty-second Regiment South Carolina Vols.

Capt. A. L. EVANS,
Assistant Adjutant-Gen., Evan's Brigade.

Source: Official Records: Series I. Vol. 19. Part I, Reports. Serial No. 27

** NOTE** The differences between Gen. Evans casualties and Major Hilton's casualties of the 22nd SC.